Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Where did the day go?

I'm tired. I've spent the whole day at the doctor with my dad , at work and getting ready for Thanksgiving. I'm hosting for my family and doing all the cooking. No one else will or can do it.
I tried to fit in some writing while waiting for the doctor but my dad kept talking to me. Until very recently my father and I didn't really talk often so the conversations now sound like we just met. It's kind of weird. It makes me feel bad that I didn't make an effort to talk to him more.
Anyway, while I started to write my dad asked me what I was writing. I said a book. He told me I should write westerns, then maybe he'd read it. Then he went into a long story about how he loves Louis L'Amour novels and has read them all. In my life I've never seen my dad read anything other than the sports section of the newspaper and Nascar magazines. Even when I was little he would talk about books that he had read. I would check them out of the library for him to read but he never touched them.
Well since he'll be sitting in a lot of waiting rooms for a while I thought about buying him some Louis L'Amour books for Christmas. Then maybe I can get a few seconds to write while I'm waiting with him.

3 comments:

D.B. Echo said...

You could do a western called Boot Hill, about a shoe salesperson from back East trying to sell shoes (and boots) to cowboys and the cranky old women they love!

Anonymous said...

There's a flea market down here that sells them. If I'm out that way again, I will check the prices. My dad and his dad read the Louis L'Amour westerns as well. I didn't realize they were so popular!

I loved the description of how your conversations are like you just met. I mean, I know that it is a sad description, but the way you phrased it just brought the whole picture to life for me and I could actually see the two of you sitting there having the 'conversation.' Just a little writer-to-writer comment, I guess.

Happy Thanksgiving! :)

Ashley said...

Harold- That is an interesting idea. I'll keep it in mind. I did write a comic script for a sci-fi western once. Although I'm not sure if my dad would be particularly fond of the aliens, paranormal and witchcraft that took place.

Jenni-
Thanks for the price check! I wish I had a microphone so I could announce it.
Thanks for the comment about the descritption. It's nice to know that ever few billion words, I actually write something that makes sense.