Friday, November 03, 2006

No car and no contest

I'm back with my second entry of the day. I really hope that the readers and fellow participants in NaBloPoMo don't think I just put my name on the site to get more readers and had no intention of blogging everyday. It was really circumstance beyond my control. I'll sum it up real fast so I don't dwell on it.
Couldn't pay bill, Internet shut-off. Borrowed sister's broken down laptop with slow dial-up, couldn't get a connection. Would have taken the time to drive or take bus to library but axle broke in car and had to find way to get the car towed out of the middle of the street.

Now that we have that out of the way, I hope people continue to read on.

A while back I decided to enter a short-short story in a contest. It was an odd little story about a bubble gum used to get revenge on a door to door salesman. The whole story came from an on the spot writing exercise in my creative writing class. It was by no means an idea I had been working on for a while. I probably would have never given it another thought if my professor hadn't suggested that I enter it in a contest. (It's entirely possible that she was just trying to be nice.)
Well, I did. At the time I didn't realize how tough the contest I was entering was and that it more focuses on literary fiction, which my story wouldn't qualify as, although they say they except everything. After looking around a few writer's forums I came to the conclusion that I had lost. Yet November rolled around and I decided to check just to be on the safe side. I wish this was the part where I said I won but no, I didn't.
I was nervous checking to see ( I couldn't check until today because of my Internet problems). I wasn't nervous that I was going to lose but rather that I didn't want to win. At the time I didn't see that my story was quite silly and that the magazine was rather well known. What if I had won and people remembered me for my stupid bubble gum story?
I often feel regret about my work once it's too late. I don't even like people reading my work in front of me. Is this normal or am I completely out of my mind?

No comments: