Thursday, July 27, 2006

Someone else's character

I just read that Leaky Cauldron, a Harry Potter fansite, is holding a competition for best fan fiction. But not just any fan fiction. It has to be set in Las Vegas or the wizarding equivalent of and can only be 750- 1500 words. The contest is limited to three entries per person but since the deadline is Friday at midnight I'm sure I don't have to worry about it. The contest will have two winners funniest and most creative.

I've never written fan fiction although I have been known to come up with ideas from time to time. Mostly with comic books because I like to think there is a miniscule chance I could be writing them one day. It's a field where writing storylines for someone else's characters is very common where as novel writers very rarely write sequels for something they did not originally create.

I'm thinking about giving it a shot. If for no better a reason than to practice working with already developed characters and ideas rather than coming up with my own.
If I do try it, I'll post it here since I have nothing to lose.

Just watched: 30 Days (the t.v. show on FX)
Currently listening to: Fall Out Boy

No comments: