Tuesday, July 11, 2006

"Big words"

I've just spent the past two hours looking up "big words" to use for a character that pretends to be smarter than everyone else.
Don't worry I didn't retain much so there'll be no nothing that sounds intelligent written here!
After a while of writing I wasn't even sure if what I said made sense which could make the whole thing seem incredibly stupid or funnier because the character is trying so hard to be smart that they don't even make sense, which makes them look even more stupid or something like that.
Well the first three chapters are ready to be sent out. I'm trying not to get my hopes up but I have to say it's pretty cool!

2 comments:

D.B. Echo said...

There used to be a character on In Living Color like that - a jailhouse scholar who routinely used erudite words in completely wrong ways, or would make up words that sounded intelligent but were meaningless. I think that series is out on DVD now. You might want to check it out!

Anonymous said...

A friend and I used to make fun of his professor who would always ask that their essays were written "in an erudite manner." We would walk around with our pinkys to our lips pretending to hold monocles and end every sentence we could think of in a faux-British accent declaring everthing should be "in an erudite manner."

Looked it up later, turns out it just means "scholarly."