Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Writer's quiz

Dancing with the Stars is now over. I thought Laila, Joey and Apollo were all awesome from the beginning so I didn't care who won as long as they were the final three.

Since I spent tonight, my final night since the season finales are over, glued to the television here's a little writer survey that I found and saved in case there was ever a day or two when I didn't have a lot of time to write a post.

1. Do you outline?

Yes, most of the time. Occasionally I do just go on a whim and sometimes I write an outline but don't stick to it at all. I mostly do it because my mind works faster than I type and I think if I write down general notes, like an outline, I won't forget anything.

2. Do you write straight through a book, or do you sometimes tackle the scenes out of order?

I've always written straight through.

3. Do you prefer writing with a pen or using a computer?

I prefer writing with a pen but I hate having to type it in again later. Although, it is a good way to reread and edit what I've already written.

4. Do you prefer writing in first person or third?

Most of the stuff I've written is in third person. I did do something in second person once and it's my only short story to get published in an actual literary magazine.

5. Do you listen to music while you write? If so, do you create a play list, listen randomly, or pick a single song that fits the book?

YES! I always listen to music when I'm writing. Sometimes I pick just one song that fits the book. Other times I pick a few CD's that work. I don't really make a play list though. I don't have the technology to do so unless I want to get up every four minutes and put a new song on, which significantly cuts down on writing time.

6. How do you come up with the perfect names for your characters?

Sometimes I think of names that are similar to the people the characters are inspired by. Not necessarily names that sound or are spelled similar but names that have the same characteristics like short, rare, common, simple.

If I'm writing at work sometimes I use the names of shoes or shoe companies.

7. When you’re writing, do you ever imagine your book as a television show or movie?

Not necessarily that it would get made into one of them but I picture them in my head as if they were one and then I write what I see.

8. Have you ever had a character insist on doing something you really didn’t want him/her to do?

If you count being boring, yes. Otherwise I can't really say that has happened to me.

9. Do you know how a book is going to end when you start it?

Sometimes. Both of my Nano novels, I knew how they would end. Jenni and I kind of had a general idea when it came to Behind the Naugahyde but we've come up with more and more as we go. The novel I'm working on now I have no clue which makes it even more scary.

10. Where do you write?

Usually in my office. Sometimes I write at work. Other times I write at the library or a coffee shop if it's too hot and I need some free air conditioning.

11. What do you do when you get writer’s block?

I go for a walk, watch T.V or a movie, read, listen to music. I do anything but write and hope that something pops in my head.

12. What size increments do you write in (either in terms of word count, or as a percentage of the book as a whole)?

As much as I can at once. I don't usually get the luxury of writing for as long as I want.

13. How many different drafts did you write for your last project?

My last project would be my last Nano novel and so far I've only written one.

14. Have you ever changed a character’s name midway through a draft?

In Behind the Naugahyde, Jenni and I decided on a name for a character. Then I realized half way through that I had been using the wrong name. And there were a few times I changed names on purpose either because I had already used them or they just didn't seem to fit anymore.

15. Do you let anyone read your book while you’re working on it, or do you wait until you’ve completed a draft before letting someone else see it?

I usually wait until it's finished but there was one exception. It didn't really go like I thought it would so I doubt I'd do it again.

16. What do you do to celebrate when you finish a draft?

Announce it on my blog!

17. One project at a time, or multiple projects at once?

I try to focus on one project at a time but occasionally, when I'm having writer's block or procrastinating, I'll work on something else for bit. Usually just editing.

18. Do your books grow or shrink in revision?

I have yet to fully revise a book so it's hard to say.

19. Do you have any writing or critique partners?

Jenni is my writing partner and has often critiqued my work as well.

20. Do you prefer drafting or revising?

I've always done revisions.

So there's a little more insight to my writing technique. I hope no one got hurt when they jumped out of their chair from the excitement.