Monday, May 14, 2007

Why I didn't get anything done today.

I went to Mackinac Island today. I had a lot of fun because I love the island and often thought it would be fun to stay on it during the winter months and force myself to write a book. Of course whenever I see the Grand Hotel on the island, I always think of the hotel in the Shining by Stephen King.
The island is near where the upper and lower Michigan peninsulas meet, well they're connected by a bridge. Anyway, the island is like taking a trip back in time because they don't allow cars on the island. Everyone gets around by horses and bikes. And the hotels and businesses try to maintain the old-fashioned look of the early 1900's. It's quite enchanting and expensive.
The island has some history with writers. Mark Twain once spoke at the Grand Hotel. The movie Somewhere In Time, which is about a playwright that goes back in time to meet an actress, was filmed there.
Well, that's not exactly a huge history. I think there were other things I've heard about writers on Mackinac Island but I can't remember them right now. Or maybe I just think that because it seems like the kind of place a writer would go to write a book or a place that would inspire them to write a book. Or it could just be me.
So that's what I did with my day and I didn't get any writing done. Now I'm off to watch Heroes.

***And congratulations to D.B.Echo on his 3 year blogiversary!!!!!!***

*oops this post was suppose to go at the top. No clue on why it didn't!

4 comments:

D.B. Echo said...

Thank you! And I'm glad you had a good time on Mackinac Island! My mom told me that my father was stationed there (or near there) when he was un the Navy 55 years ago!

Anonymous said...

Meijers is selling towels and pillows designed and/or coming from The Grand Hotel at Mackinac Island. I don't know why one would want to decorate one's house with towels and pillows that appear to be stolen from a hotel - and pay for it, no less - however, your post has made me think that maybe there could be a more useful reason for these. Perhaps one could have the *feeling* of Mackinac Island at a low, low cost and year-round. I do like the idea of writing a whole book while staying there and at first I thought there would be no way I could do it because I would be too busy eating fudge and getting fat, but then I realized that the fudge probably isn't vegan, and I'd mostly likely be stuck there, bitter and angry at my lack of fudge, and instead write some brilliant novel seething with anger and passion. That's if I didn't freeze to death, of course.

Ashley said...

Maybe Meijer is selling the stuff because it is increasingly harder to steal from hotels now that they require you to give them a credit card number and they just charge all the stolen stuff.

As for the fudge issue, what if I come along and then I can make you peanut butter fudge using condensed soy milk?!

Anonymous said...

Now we have a plan. Let's go be hermits at Macinac Island for the next winter!