Friday, January 27, 2006

Poetry Rant

As I sit here procrastinating from writing my story for class, I am annoyed. Not because I can't figure out how to start my story or because I have this urge to clean my office and can't because I must finish this. The reason I am so annoyed is that I think there is something unfair about writing. I looked at my fellow students posting to see if I was the only one who had waited until the last minute, I wasn't. There was one posting though and it was by one of the students who had chosen to do poetry. He wrote two poems that together barley make a page. I on the other hand have to write in the area of 10 pages. I checked the paper that told us what we must have by the end of the semester. I must have over 40 pages of short fiction, poets on the other hand must have 8-10 poems. Now I know poems aren't always as short as the ones posted but still they are generally under a page. Also I'm not criticizing poetry but they don't have to have a plot, characters or dialogue. They can just write whatever and even if it doesn't make sense it's called interpretive or experimental.
Maybe I should switch to poetry so I can do less work. Of course the class wouldn't benefit me then because I don't really have an interest in it.
Okay I'm done complaining. Now I have to get back to work.

*This is not me bashing poetry. I like poetry. There are many pieces that I love. I'm just not good at writing it.

No comments: