Sunday, November 15, 2009

What's missing?

I missed a few days on the blogging. So NaBloPoMo is basically done for me. I could have posted something quick and pointless but didn't want to. I didn't want to force myself to write something just for the sake of writing something. Yes, sometimes you have to push through and just write. Maybe it's good, maybe it's not. I do it with fiction all the time. But the stuff that sucks, I put aside and work on it another day. Sometimes I make it into something that's not too bad. Other times it gets worse. I just can't do that with blog posts. Well I could but putting them aside for later wouldn't get them posted that very day, so I would still be missing a post right now. So instead I didn't post at all because I didn't want to post the same thing over and over or something pointless just for the sake of posting.
Sure I had a few topics listed that I could have wrote about but once again I didn't want to write them in haste just to make sure I posted for the day. They deserve better than that and so do the few of the people who actually read these posts.
Instead I used the little time that I had to work on my fiction. And that went okay. I'm still behind on NaNoWriMo but even if I don't write another word on that story this month, I still have over 10,000 words of a new story, which I know is way more than I would have had I not joined NaNoWriMo.
The month's not over yet and I haven't given up on my writing goals. I'm just reassessing them and being more realistic about what I have time for given the fact that I have a job, errands, chores and most importantly, people that I have to make time for. If that means not putting up a lame post every now and again, that's okay. Just as long as it doesn't become a habit...again.

2 comments:

Hayley said...

I've never tried NaNo, but have been tempted. Also, while I could never write under such intense time contstaints, it's definately an advantage if you get enough words to make a start for a good book.

Author & Adventurer Loreen Niewenhuis said...

You might want to try writing more short work and getting that published. It will help when you try to get your novels out there.

Two good publishing advice blogs are at http://literarydatabase.wordpress.com/
and
http://writershandbook.wordpress.com/

and a great resource (which I designed) at http://www.literarydatabase.com

Keep writing!
-Loreen.