Monday, May 16, 2005

The hard part is waiting

Well since my last and first entry not much has changed. And that is depressing. I sent in my completed science fiction and western story last week to the publisher and haven't heard anything back and I'm hoping that it's not because he hated it.
Also I have had a huge struggle trying to find an artist to work with since my decision to self-publish. I have responded to ads for artist who need work and put out an ad for an artist that wants work. Of course, I have also tried good old- fashioned networking. However, every time I get excited about an artist working out, something goes wrong.
My first prospective artist was very insistent that we could only meet at his house because he needed his supplies. I insisted on meeting at a public place and when I got there he tried to get me to walk with him over a mile to his house. Fearing that I was not being reasonable, I finally went to the house accompanied by a friend. It turned out his supplies were three small sketches that he could not carry with him. However, it was nice to visit his mother's basement and sit on old, stained furniture. I'm not joking!
The next artist I found had wonderful art but he was from the Philippines and spoke very little English. He had no idea what I wanted him to draw and I had no idea how to explain it.
I also found an artist who did great characters and but couldn't draw back grounds.
I gave another artist a very detailed scene description and a week to do it. It took three weeks and there was no background and only one of the two characters. And to top it off, the character he did draw was supposed to be a woman who's a mechanic that dresses in a masculine way, covered in dirt and messy hair. The sketch he gave was a very clean, neat girl wearing a midriff tank top and low slung pants. But she was holding a wrench.
Currently, I am waiting to hear back from two artist. One has a great attitude and great art but it wasn't quite the style I was looking for and the other I am still waiting to see the work.
So for now I continue to check my e-mail all to often and hope for some good news.

No comments: