Wednesday, April 08, 2009

The latest reading list

A few weeks ago I finally finished reading the eleven books that have, so far, made up the Harry Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. Although, I believe a new book has or will come out in April. The books weren't necessarily intellectual reading but they were fun and they read pretty quickly. They're about a modern day wizard, living in modern day Chicago, who is the only wizard listed in the phone book. During the series he runs into all kinds of supernatural beings such as vampires, werewolves, fairies, ghost, fallen angels, demons, and he has lots of really interesting friends to help him. I enjoyed the series for some light and entertaining reading.

After that, I received the new David Sedaris book, When You Are Engulfed In Flames, for Valentine's Day. It was funny and I did enjoy it but I feel like he has less interesting things to say now that he's a wealthy, famous writer rather than a poor, struggling writer. Maybe it also had something to do with the fact that this book mentioned his family significantly less than his others. His unique family was definitely something that really made his early books funny. I still laughed with this one but not as much as I have with his previous works.

Right now I'm reading the Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. I really didn't plan on reading this book but it came to me in a weird way. I had given somebody one of my book club chain letters that Jenni dragged me into, and that person was suppose to send a book to Jenni. However, he didn't really feel that he would be able to handle the task of mailing it. (The post office can be complicated.) So he asked me to give it to her...four months ago. Well, I have seen her twice since then but I have forgotten the book. Then I started reading it.
Anyway, it's a long book, well over 600 pages. The idea is cool. A group of historians search for proof that Vlad the Impaler is the real Dracula and that he is still living an undead existence as a vampire. Of course, the book can move slowly. They cover a lot of history and geography. There is a ton of detail. At times it reads more like non-fiction, full of facts, and the story tying it all together seems to just fall in every now and again. I'm just now in the 400s after two weeks of reading. It's not one of those books that I just can't put down. I usually fall asleep after a chapter or so if I'm reading before bed. So far I don't feel emotionally connected to any of the characters. I could really care less what happens to them I just want to get to the end and find out what the plot twist is because there must be one. Also, I'm not a person who can quit a book. I have to finish. The book is intriguing sometimes but most of the time I feel like I'm studying. Maybe the last 200 pages will pick up a bit.

No comments: